Khakheti is indeed gorgeous area and the birth place of Georgian wine. The capital of Kakheti is Telavi. It is located on a slope of mountain, 500-800 m. above sea level. Here you can enjoy a gorgeous view of Alazani Field and Caucasus Mountains.
In Telavi you can visit “Castle of Masters” from V-VI CC., that was the residence of kings of Kakheti in XVII-XVIII CC.; and historical and Ethnographic Museum of G. Chubinashvili, where 65 thousand exhibits are displayed.
Kakheti has lots of cultural and historical sites, such as:
- Ikalto Monastery, it was established by Assyrian Prist Zenon in VI C and is 7 km. from Telavi.
- Alaverdi, it is a grand temple and monastery complex. The Monastery was built by Assyrian priest Joseph Alaverdeli in VI C. The big temple was built in XI C. Alaverdi was one of the greatest cultural and educational centers of Georgia that had a huge library. Alaverdi is 20 km. from Telavi.
- Ninotsminda Monastery, it was built in honor of St. Nino, evangelist of Georgia. It is assumed that it was built in 575. Here you can see the monastery cloister, 4 level tower from XVI century, fragments of fresco, castle and many more.
- David Gareji, it is the most famous monastery complex built by Assyrian priest David Garejeli. Here it has been established Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve of David Garejeli. During the period of David Garejeli’s life a few monastery complexes like Lavra, where David Garejeli was living; the church of Holy Transfiguration where David and Lukiane are buried, were built here. The complex is at the edge of high cliff from the east and west, this is the cliff where monks live and pray.
- Ujarma city castle was established in III-IV CC, it was significantly aggrandized in V C. Nowadays there are only ruins.
- Nekresi, it was built by king Pharnavaz in II BC. The church in Nekresi was built in IV C; it is one of the ancient churches in Georgia that remained its glory and is still proudly standing.
- Gremi, a beautiful city, became the capital of Kakheti in 1466. Unfortunately, the city was destroyed during invasions of Shah Abbas. In 1565 they built a beautiful temple, its painting was finished in 1567.
- “The City of Love” Signagi where you can enjoy ancient and new architecture of the city. It was declared as a city in 1801. Signagi is a city-castle built in 1762 and we can say that it is cultural heritage. The original castle was not preserved, but there is little information about it that it dated by XIX C. Signagi Ethnographical museum is very impressive, it contains 10000 exhibits.
- Bodbe St. Nino church, it is located 7 km. from Signagi. It is the place where St. Nino preached Christianity and was buried. The church with its gorgeous frescoes was built in VIII C. and was restored in XI C. by King George I. Its height is 900 m. above sea level. St. Nino church used to be made of wood, built by the command of King Mirian, in IV century. Later King Vakhtang Gorgasali built stone church and established episcopal pulpit in VII C. that was destroyed by earthquake. The painting of the monastery was made in the second half of XIX C.
In Kakheti you can also see unique houses of the past centuries, vine cellars and etc.