Gori is the capital of Shida QarTli. It is located at the confluence of the river Mtkvari and Liakhvi, 89 km from Tbilisi and 588 meters above sea level. According to historical sources Gori was established by King David the Builder in XII century. Here you can visit natural and cultural points of interests such as:
- Natural freezer cavern in village Ateni, Gori.
- Castle - according to the sources it has been mentioned in History since VII century, and based on archeological resources it was proved that Gori Castle had defensive structure in II-I BC It is located on a rocky hill and overviews the city of Gori.
- State museum of the Soviet Union statesman and politician Joseph Stalin. The museum contains memorial house where Stalin was born, exposition building and his personal train with its interior.
- Uflistsikhe – rock cut cavern, located 8 km from Gori. It is dated by VII-VI BC and is considered as a natural reserve where up to 3,300 exhibits are saved and protected.
- Ateni Sioni – located 12 km from Gori, built on a steep rock. The church is dated by the 1st half of VII C. This Church is an important example of Georgian monumental painting.